Tough Love - Mould Children Into Responsible Adults Essay
Tough Love vs Indulgence?
Should we, as parents, love our children to the extent that we allow them to go the wrong way because we do not wish to displease them? Should we spare the rod and spoil the child? Indeed no! Rather, there should be the right blend of discipline and love.
- Discipline – is an essential element in raising children successfully. However, discipline can only be effective if it is administered correctly. How then can the level of correctness be determined? There is, in fact, no absolute way. Parents must strive to be consistent, firm and fair while at the same time demonstrating understanding, wisdom and love. When a child needs to be disciplined there are a number of variables to be considered such as the severity of the misdemeanor which has been committed, the circumstances surrounding it and the habitual behavior of the child. Parents have a responsibility to ensure that they are rational and controlled when administering discipline to avoid turning discipline into abuse. Furthermore, discipline dispensed in anger seldom has the intended effect.
- Love – As a parent, you find it easy to love your children unconditionally. You will do almost anything to ensure their happiness and well being. When they are ill you are broken down and when they hurt you hurt. How then do you punish them and cause them to hurt? How do you deny them the privileges which you know will make them happy? One of the toughest decisions that a parent must make is to deny his/her child something that the child truly desires or to administer discipline in a manner that really hurts.Tough love involves looking beyond the moment. You have established standards for your home and family. There are values which you uphold and which you have tried to instill in your children from very young. These, you are certain, will set them on the right track in life.However, there is a lot of peer pressure out there and children from homes where standards are strictly enforced have the tendency to believe that their parents are being unnecessarily strict and unloving. They compare their own parents to that of their friends who might be more accommodating and whose rules might be more lax.
When this happens you feel backed into a corner because you do not wish to alienate your children. You want nothing more than to have them trust you enough to understand that your decisions are for their own protection. On the other hand, your conscience will not allow you to accede to their wishes if you are convinced that morally you are making the right decision. You will be unable to live with your conscience if you do not exercise what you perceive to be good judgment. What if by relenting to your children’s wishes you place them at risk? Would you forgive yourself? Would your children love you more?
Be Guided by Your Conscience
You cannot , as a parent, allow your children to travel the wrong routes; to succumb to peer pressure and to make poor choices, simply because it makes them happy for the moment. At the end of the day, if things do not turn out right for them, they will turn around and blame you for contributing to their failure by not providing the proper guidance when they were growing up. Conversely, they will thank you for the tough upbringing which helped them to become strong, responsible adults.
It brings immense gratification, when after your children are grown and on their own, you can look back with satisfaction in the knowledge that you did your best as a parent and that you contributed to the sound, upright adults that your children have grown up to be.
Tough love may hurt at the time it is being exercised, but it pays off in the long run and your children will, in retrospect, thank you for the times when you were tough on them. As the saying goes, ‘All’s well that ends well.’
- Dangers of Over-Protective Parenting
Effective parenting is a skill that is acquired over time. Overprotective parenting can cause conflict between parents and their teens which, if not addressed in time, can have disastrous outcomes.
- Parenting – Being a Single Mother
Being a single mother is no easy task. One may find oneself a single mother as a result of different circumstances such as having a child out of wedlock, separation, divorce or death of one’s spouse.
- Permissive/Indulgent Parenting
Parents do not help their children by being too permissive; over indulgence on the part of parents hold the danger of creating young persons who are self centered, undisciplined and irresponsible.
- Parenting: Lessons Learned From Motherhood
One of the first things you acquire as a mother is the capacity to love truly and selflessly. Only as a mother do you discover how easy it is to put someone else before yourself.
- Tribute to Mother – Flower Therapy
Therapy can be found in the simplest of things. Flowers are my mother’s therapy; they bring her spiritual healing and contentment. They have enriched her life.
- On Being a Mother – An Enriching Experience
Motherhood is definitely a wonderful and enriching experience and you are much better for having gone through it. Some people only really appreciate the beauty of the experience in retrospect.
- Make the World a Better Place – Be Tolerant Toward Others
When we are supportive of each other and sensitive to each other’s needs, we contribute to a better and brighter world. “We shall pass this way but once…”